Northern Spain and Grazalema

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spain Is Very Different Amigo…Very Different!

This is a very popular quote here in Espain! We hear it most often in reference to the frequent tardiness or the lack of organization that exists in different aspects of life here. There are also many positives to this famous “dicho”; it is almost always sunny, there is very little precipitation, the people are incredibly nice, there are hundreds of cyclists and millions of cycling fanatics, there is a ton of racing, and there are many teams out there that love to sign new riders…These are just a few of the very different parts of Espain that we do not mind.
Yesterday was my team presentation. Yes, I have joined a cycling team here in Jaén, Spain. Yes, they actually have team presentations at this level of racing. And last but not least, yes, they do give you A TON of free clothing to ride on their team. I was given a full winter outfit, two summer outfits, arm and leg warmers, gloves, a track suit, a t-shirt, a balaclava (which is ironic considering it was 70 degrees here today) and a vest! There is also a helmet on the way! Espanish people take their racing very seriously. The team all got together yesterday morning for a 120-kilometer ride through the valley. We were all looking very sharp rocking the brand new kits! The ride finished at the castle here in Jaen where we took some team photos to give to the sponsors and for the article that the paper ran on Monday morning. We then all went down to one of the local bars and had lunch together with friends, family, and sponsors! The team and I are all looking forward to the first race of the season in Cadiz (where our friend Mrs. Mavis Hartz lived for a year). Nobody knows if we will win or not but one thing is for certain; we are going to be one of the best looking teams at the start line!
Cycling has pretty much defined the month of February for both Jeanna and me. The weather has been absolutely incredible and it has been nearly impossible for either of us to stop soaking in the sun. Jeanna finished her first metric century ride in less than four hours last Saturday. I just finished a 21-hour build week and we are both still finding time to spend with one another…ohh yeah, and work every once in awhile! We realize how incredibly fortunate we are to be here and we are having no trouble at all make the most of this experience. We have a few trips planned in the near future. Keep checking back for updates and more photos. We hope that all of you are doing well. We love and miss all of you and look forward to seeing you this summer! We will be home in just over three months! Until then, we will continue doing our best to take full advantage of our time here in Espain, where things are berry differentay amigo!
Saludos
Elias and La Guapetona Señora Jeanna

7 comments:

CrazyMom said...

Thank you for the wonderful photo collage! It's good to see "evidence" of TEAM cycling and the two of you living the dream - enjoying the experience! I ask myself: who wouldn't? It's stunning. You might even have to purchase another suitcase to get all those clothes home! Cycle on! And WIN big for all of us at home. Go, Uncle Eli, GO BIG!! We love you.

Connie Eastburn said...

Thanks so much for the new pictures on both of the latest posts. I love the captions, Jeanna, and the pictures that include both of your happy faces. We really appreciate the communication you have come to be famous for! Keep us the good work and disfruten!

Mary Koike said...

Hi Jeanna and Eli,

You are such amazing writers! I feel like I want to be there. The latte and toast for breakfast sound especially delicious. And honestly, I would love to work 5 earnest hours and then delight in the company of family, friends, and jamones. I also like the oinko of the jamones and the oinko of world peace. Very delicious.
The pictures are so amazing too. I watched Rick Steve's Europe and they did a tour of Espana and oh my gosh, they were in a town you mentioned.
The cycling pictures are wonderful too. Did you say you got Baklava for riding a bike? I love Baklava.
Guess what? I get to go to Japan this summer. Better yet...I get to go with my husband.
Seriously,thank you for the awesome postcard you sent. That was touching. Have some very good bike rides and stay safe. Love you, Auntie Mary

Mary Koike said...

Oh this is weird. The word verification is bathrin. That reminds me that I have to go now.

Debbie said...

Great stories and great pictures. Wish we were there with you. I've decided that Spain is a country that we need to see. I'm so happy that you are loving your time over there. Good luck with all of the races and take good care of your new addition. Love, Aunt Debbie

daxelrod said...

this is delightful.I'm very happy for both of you. A pleasure to read about your time in Espana! If you smuggle me a jamon, you will be my honorary son. I have been to the museo de jamon in Madrid, so I know my jamon.

Daxelrod

daxelrod said...

this is delightful, eli. good to read about your time in Espana! If you would smuggle me a jamon I would treat you like a son forever.

DAxelrod